Friday, October 29, 2010

Salvation: Road to Calvary

In order to fully understand salvation, you must make these stops along the road to Calvary. Jesus did not leave us without a map of how to get there. I was saved through the story of Jonah at the age of six. God kept calling on Jonah to go to Nineveh, but he kept on running away from God's calling. I finally answered the call to salvation. I have been saved for almost 27 years. 

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."(Romans 3:23) No one is discounted from this number. We have all come short of the glory of God. Until we recognize that we have sinned against a sinless God; we cannot begin to understand salvation.

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there none that doeth good, no, not one. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asp under their lips: Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness: Their feet are swift to shed blood: Destruction and misery are in their ways: And the way of peace have they not known: There is no fear of before their eyes."(Romans 3:10-18) The way of the wicked leads to death and destruction. We are reminded about our state apart from God throughout this passage.

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 6:23) We have no amount of money that would cover the debt of sin. The blood of Christ covered that debt that we owe to a righteous God. He gives eternal life to those that choose to accept His gift of salvation.

"But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."(Romans 5:8) God saw the plight of man and had compassion on him.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."(Romans 10:9) It is a matter of making the choice to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that He was raised from the dead. We will be saved.

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."(Romans 10:13) This verse echoes what verse nine says. This repetition aids learning the principle of how to call upon the Lord for salvation.

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:"(Romans 5:1) Having received salvation; we now have true peace with God. It is a greater peace than any man can devise.

Stanza 1:
King of my life I crown Thee now- Thine shall be the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn-crowned brow, Lead me to Calvary.
Lest I forget Gethsemane; Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me, Lead me to Calvary.

Stanza 4:
May I be willing, Lord, to bear Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share- Thou hast borne all for me.
Lest I forget Gethsemane; Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me, Lead me to Calvary.
(Lead Me to Calvary- Jennie Evelyn Hussey and William J. Kirkpatrick)

No comments:

Post a Comment